Original Article here
Take aways if you suffer with Intense Hormonal acne and nothing seems to be working:
How to Get Clear Skin Through Diet | POPSUGAR Beauty
If you get the OK from your doctor, here is a list of supplements (from Dr. Berkowitz) and what they do:
- Alpha lipoic acid: helps stop the stiffening of collagen fibers.
- Antioxidants: stop free radical production. For example, vitamins A, C, and E help to better hydrate the skin.
- Hydrolyzed collagen: reduces wrinkles.
- Hyaluronic acid: hydrates skin. (Yes, you can take the popular skin care ingredient as a supplement, as well!)
- Astaxanthin: fights free radicals and prevents damage from the sun and other environmental toxins.
Here are specific supplements for acne:
- Zinc: helps accelerate the development of new clear skin cells and reduce the inflammatory response to bacteria.
- Probiotic: promotes healthy or good bacteria and thus decreases the inflammatory response that damages skin.
- Coconut oil: helps replace the protective acid layer that keeps skin healthy and reduces inflammation.
He also shared an anti-inflammatory eating plan:
- Avoid refined carbohydrates, which increase insulin and inflammation.
- Avoid gluten, cow’s milk dairy, processed foods, and excessive amounts of omega-6, which are all pro-inflammatory.
- Increase use of spices: turmeric, cinnamon, garlic, and parsley all have anti-inflammatory effects to help keep the skin healthy and slow down the aging process.
As always, please consult your Doctor.
I learned a lot from this article as I am going for blood work tomorrow to be approved for Accutane. Accutane is a medication I have wanted to be on for many years, but never had the means and courage to get it. I cannot become pregnant, be on a multi-vitamin, and there are many side effects.
However. If this is the cure to my never ending acne, (as it has been for many people), I will be over the moon.
Below is a list of things I can remember that I’ve tried over the years to cure my acne. I’ve been between frustrated and disappointed in myself for years. Praying Accutane changes my face.
- Honey and cinnamon
- Tea Tree oil, organic and non-organic
- Cutting out dairy
- Cleansers, organic and non-organic. (You name it, I’ve tried it).
- Benzoyl Peroxide creams
- Crushed aspirin
- Tactupump cream prescription
- Cleansing soaps
- Face Masks
- Salicylic acid creams
- Lemon and Baking soda
- Birth control
- Antibiotics (Such as erythromycin)
- The Proactive Kit
- Hormone supplements (Evening Primrose Oil)
- Biotin supplements
- Egg white mask
- Face Steaming
- Cutting out sugar from my diet
- Cleansing water
- Acne Spot treatment pads
- Zinc supplements
- Cutting out caffeine
- Exfoliating cloths